Cheryl’s Little-Known Secrets for a Healthier Lifestyle
First things first.
“It can be strongly said that the health of an individual is largely determined by the ability of the body to detoxify.” ~ Joseph Pizzorno, N.D. and Michael Murray, N.D.
The basic tenets of functional medicine are: clean the body; remove any irritants, whether they be food, medicine, or microbes; provide the proper nutrients for the body to use as building materials; replace missing intestinal flora, enzymes, and hydrochloric acid; and give the body time to heal itself.”
There is no greater influence on your body and health than what you put into your body three-plus times a day every day of your life. Food IS your first medicine. It is crystal clear that Americans are paying for their junk food addictions with their lives. The American way of life IS hazardous to our health. What you do now is most definitely going to show up later on down the road. I do not want to inundate you. I will merely start you out and make small changes in the beginning.
First, start thinking “Real Whole Foods.” This means peas, carrots, lettuce, chicken, fish, apples, bananas, on and on and on. If under the ingredients you see a long, 20-letter word that you can’t pronounce, then DON’T put it in your body! Secondly, you MUST start reading labels. I will show you how to do that if you don’t know how.
In the Paleolithic days, they hunted, killed, and cooked the meat; they planted, grew, and ate the roughage. Their food did not sit on shelves for days, weeks, months, and, sadly, years, before getting eaten. If it can sit that long, do you really want it in your body???
I will first list some things you should try to avoid, starting from this day forward. Your kids should absolutely not be eating this stuff either!
Foods to Avoid
- Partially hydrogenated oils: (These are damaged, refined, inferior fats.) This is food injected with hydrogen. Think of Crisco oil. You could turn that can upside down for 10 years, and it would never drip out of the can because it’s a solid fat. Imagine that fat in your tissues, heart, lungs, arteries, veins, etc. DO NOT EAT THIS. READ LABELS!!
- Trans Fats: This is a bad fat. Don’t eat it!
- Genetically Modified Foods: (This is food made in a lab.)
- High (damaged) Fats (vs. high-quality fats)
- High Refined Sugar
- High Sodium: (from refined foods) Table salt = highly acidic; Sea Salt = highly alkaline (from seaweed vs., say, a Lean Cuisine)
- Gluten: If problems with constipation, gas, bloating, cramping, etc., try avoiding gluten. I don’t eat gluten anymore except here and there. Gluten is a very hard protein to digest. 1 in 3 people are gluten-sensitive. Most of the time, all they need to do is eliminate this from the diet, and they’d be fine. Instead they go to an internist or gastroenterologist and are prescribed “synthetic, manufactured” pills to band-aid the effects, which are constipation, fermentation and more. Gluten is also a pro-inflammatory. In other words, it inflames. If someone has arthritis, they should DEFINITELY not eat gluten.
- Dairy: Eat little or no dairy. Goat or sheep products are recommended over cow. Also, organic, local, raw. Biochemical individuality should also be taken into consideration, (i.e., your Metabolic Type: carb, protein or mixed.)
- White starch: (white rice, white potatoes, etc.)
- Sodas: (big mineral depleters) Avoid concentrated or pasteurized fruit juices loaded with sugars even if 100% fruit juice. Instead, drink juices expressed from a juicer or eat a piece of fruit.)
- I just had to include the 11th little-known secret! High fructose corn syrup. A big no-no! This is the number one food linked to diabetes and obesity. This is a fake sugar, and the pancreas does not know what to do with it or how to metabolize it. (For more foods to avoid, click here)
Foods to Eat
- Organic: whenever possible!
- Real whole foods always
- High Fiber: Kale, beans, non-glutenous low-to-no-sugar granolas or muesli; sweet potatoes, fruits/veggies
- Sweet potatoes versus white potatoes, and we’re not talking about when you splurge!
- Green tea: Lots of antioxidants to counter free radical activity
- Lots of Herbal teas
- Stevia: natural plant extract (in place of sugar)
- Agave syrup (in place of sugar)
- Grains: Non-glutenous grains
- Glutenous: Oats, wheat, barley, rye
- Non-Glutenous: Quinoa, amaranth, corn, millet, and a few others
- Nuts, seeds: Good fats
- Goji berries: Tons of antioxidants
- Healthy Fats & Oils (Olive Oil, Coconut oil, real butter): Be sure not to cook with olive oil as it is not meant for high-heat cooking. Use unrefined, expeller-pressed coconut oil.
- Legumes (beans): Eden Organic is a great label for beans. They make all kinds. Can be used in salads, eaten with eggs in the AM for protein, burritos.
- Sardines, Herring, Salmon: (For the good Omega-3 oils) Be careful not to O.D. on other fish with high mercury content (shark, swordfish, tuna) because of that very fact, the mercury factor.
- Acidophilus (friendly bacteria): Should always be replacing this from the impurities from a non-organic diet and life in general.
- Kombucha: (loaded with polyphenols, enzymes needed for proper digestion and absorption, acidophilus, and probiotics)
- Supplements are good in that you get the acidophilus consistently. The impurities we endure are depleters of friendly bacteria, which we most definitely need in order to keep the gut environment balanced.
Breakfast Food Suggestions:
- Steel-cut oatmeal (This is the only oatmeal you should be eating. It is the only non-refined oatmeal. Forego Quaker oats, packaged oatmeal, etc. It’s all refined.
- Barbara’s (decent brand of cereal, less processed, still a little bit processed, though)
- Stevia (in place of sugar)
- Agave syrup (in place of sugar)
- Piece of fruit
- Green tea in place of caffeine, if brave enough to eliminate it!
- Caffeine overworks the adrenal glands, which wears down the immune system over time and CAN lead to auto-immune deficiencies such as Parkinson’s, chronic fatigue, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and others.
- Organic brown eggs with spinach, bell peppers, meat of some sort.
- Green tea
- Yogurt with flaxseed (Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Rainbow Acres.) Bob’s Redmill is the brand. Verrrrrrrrrrry high in lignans, which are antioxidants. You’d have to eat 30 cups of broccoli to equal 2 TBSP of flaxseed. Great on oatmeal and cereals, in yogurt.
This should get you started. Here’s to vitality, abundance, freedom, expansion, growth and better health for you!
Love, Cheryl xo
Personalized holistic nutrition solutions, wellness coach, and residential organizing services in Southern California: Los Angeles area as well as Malibu, Playa Vista, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Orange County CA